Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Now the Olympics are over...I am baring my sole...















This is a gold medal winning Ravelympic sock! "My Little Koigu Socks." My friends are laughing because these are the simplest, plainest socks you can knit. Size #1 DPNs (little double pointed needles) and charming Koigu yarn PPPM Painter's Palette Premium Merino. What's the fuss you might be asking? Well these d$%# socks took me over a year to knit, at least 5 pairs of socks and countless other projects in between. They are simple, they are boring and I couldn't stand to knit them, but now they are dearest to my heart socks because they won (a personal goal) in Works in Progress Dance event on Raverly and I'll even get a pin. Does it get any better? Debbie and Donna-Marie, stop laughing please.












Koigu! The best sock yarn going..



This, my friends is an Ravelympic sock! Entered into the WIPS Dancing Event - it didn't make it to the finish line.
But the big news: Heart and Sole, our new sock group, did make it to the finish line and grabbed gold for having a successful and terrific first meeting. Debbie S., (BSKE) Best sock knitter ever.. and I have had fun getting this together. Free patterns, monthly sock tips, food, games, money prizes (just kidding- well who knows?) etc. Next meet up: March 10Th, Wed., Borders Cafe, Chapel Hill, Akron, OH. 6.00pm -8.30pm. The fun part is we aren't attached to any local yarn store...gives us some room to breathe.
PS We voted on the name. There were 10 of us and I think 9 names, but we picked Heart and Sole and Julie B. won a skein of Opal wool/cotton/nylon blend. She's happy.
Ahh William Penn atop City Hall, Philadelphia, PA where I was suppose to be last weekend to do a number of "knit activities" and a "bombing", yarn that is. I had to cancel:bad sickness and the 12 plagues, but kept thinking: "I can get on the plane, it's only a short trip..." I think I would've died. Then we had 8in. more snow that day/next day and Philly got 5 and I stayed in OHIO plus Loop Yarn Store http://www.loopyarn.com/ let me know that Clara Parks ("The Knitter's Book of Wool") had cancelled (I was taking her workshop.) I started to ease up on myself for missing the trip.



















This is Cheryl J. holding her rat, her giant rat. Those crocheters can do anything! Pretty nifty huh? This was going to be a rat attached to the Anarchist's building on Baltimore Ave. between 47Th and 48Th in Philly. I made a bright orange one. Hers was mooocho better. In a way I'm glad it didn't get dropped off in in West Philadelphia. Now Cheryl can 'bomb' it somewhere nearby. Finally someone who's thinking with me here. She's already done some flower bombs with her daughter! I want her to make me a big bumble bee next. More on a local bomb after we figure out what we're doing... I'm thinking flowers everywhere...

My cousin Linda who was one of the 'Seven Cousins Who Learned to Knit' and has become a DGK (darn good knitter!) This is one of the hats she's knitted and now has moved on to socks.


Nicholas, also my cousin, will hate this picture because he's lookin' dorky and he's anything but...has learned to be a DGK also.This hat is his first and now:socks!




Here are Diane and Kathy from "Ewe & I Originals" a nice local design company that is going very well. Saw them in Pittsburgh at the Knitting Festival. We had a good laugh about some shared experiences and I picked up another great pattern from them. They both taught me how to knit socks years ago and ran a sock group that was way fun. Eweandi@gmail.com.
Okay what are we looking at you're asking, right? From the 6Th annual Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Fest: this is a ton of gorgeous sock yarn, dyed by those masters at Brook Farm http://www.brookfarmyarn.com/ in Lancaster, TX. I bought some great yarn and a pattern from them while at the Fiber Festival in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago.
What's up:
Heart and Sole, Sock Group
March 10Th, Wed. Borders, Chapel Hill 6.00 pm
Knit and Hook, Panera's, Chapel Hill
Mon. nights 6.00 pm
Yarn Over the Falls, Knit Group, Borders, Chapel Hill, Sat. nights 6.00

5 comments:

  1. Now you're talking BLOG POST!!!!!

    I am amazed at what can be done with yarn.....your socks and rats and .......deliciously hanging there waiting to be manipulated by all of you wonder knitters.

    Yummy.
    xxoo
    Glad you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Baring My Sole." "Heart & Sole." Very clever! I'm glad you kept the parking lot picture a bit longer; I still say it looks like a Christmas mantelpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen. I still have so far to go...
    Glad to hear your home, and yes, much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitty, saw a house on 17th St. in my little town that still had outdoor lights up and when I drove past they had a lighted tree in their window. I wanted to ring their bell and give them a hug. Might knit up some ornaments and bomb them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tres chic toe nail there. Nice knits! Me liking the brook farm yarn, like the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Yarn over: term used by knitters to create holes in lace knitting. I live next to the Cuyahoga Falls River and I imagine thousands of strands of yarn crossing the river and falls...